Thursday, February 23, 2012

Adoption Stories From Around the Web and Around the World (Numbers 12, 13, and 14)!

Let me not waste any time; here are the next inspiring, heart-warming, and simply amazing stories!  If you would like to share yours, please e-mail it to

The first one is about a little trooper named One-Eyed Jack, sent in by Laura A.

"In early August of 2011, after 9 months off of work with a torn
shoulder, I received a call from a friend about her neighbor who had
found a kitten underneath a house. They had named him "Sneezy"
because he sneezed dozens of times a minute and it was clear he was in
poor shape. They did not have the financial means to care for this
kitten or the time to offer him the care he needed. It was apparent
from the beginning that this kitten needed a lot of help.

Sneezy was rejected by his mother and carried off to die. He had a
severe respiratory infection, burns on his legs from an unknown
origin, worms, ear mites, and worse of all, and eye that had fallen
from the socket and was profoundly infected. I agreed to foster him,
rehabilitate him, and fund raise for his care which is precisely what
I did. He weighed less than a pound upon arrival to my home and it
was late in the evening so I could not take him to the vet right away.
He was set up in a jumbo dog cage for his safety, but his screams to
lay with me did not go unheard, so into bed he came.

The following morning, I took him to the local vet where I was
displeased with the information I received and some apprehension about
how much help they would be, so he was promptly seen by another vet
who works on a different island-- a 3 hour ferry ride away. She
offered a more helpful and positive prognosis and started him on
medications. She advised me that "Sneezy" was just too small and sick
for surgery, not even weighing a pound and being 3 weeks old, so he
was sent home with me to start some rehabilitation at home.

He required around the clock attention and care. I was home-bound
with this new ball of fur because the adult kitties (Nala, Ninja, and
Zumez) played too rough with him if unsupervised. Sneezy could not
get onto the bed without help so if he awoke during the night to eat
and potty, he required supervision and assistance back onto the bed.
The days passed and his health slowly got better. He even stopped
sneezing, at which time, a friend recommended we name him "Captain
One-Eyed Jack" in honor of his upcoming eye removal surgery.

We fundraised online and throughout town to obtain the $450 needed to
remove his eye and there were enough donations leftover to pay for all
of his future shots he would need within the first year. We were
shocked to find donations come in as far away as Australia and all
over the United States. Jack still has his original facebook page,
"Ketchikan Rescues Sneezy" and it is still maintained daily. Slowly,
our little half-pound kitten grew to be two pounds and was flown to a
nearby island to undergo an eye removal surgery. The veterinarian
offered service with amazing compassion and offered us a complimentary
neuter as long as she was operating on him.

He returned several days later to complete his rehabilitation at home
until time came that I was told his sutures could come out. After 5
weeks of intensive care, love, attention, and medication, the time
came for "Jack" to go back to his original owners. I was beside
myself after developing such a close bond with this kitten. I did my
best to compose myself and return him but it was no worse than losing
a child after the time we spent together.

After a week in his original home, he was returned to us after
discovering the home was still not equipped to offer him the care he
still needed. Today, Jack is just over 6 months old, 12.5 pounds, and
has a healthy appetite for adventure and love."

This is the first photo that was semi-not stomach wretching to look
at. It was much worse.

Jack needed frequent baths, as all kittens might.

This photo was right before his surgery when they could remove the
remaining dead tissue.

Jack recovering after his surgery with fellow tabby, Zumez.

Jack in January, weighing in over 12 pounds. His fur is dark
underneath his "missing" eye because he maintains problems with his
tear duct. He will be having surgery on that if necessary in April.
He is waiting for his vet who is on a different island to open a
practice here so he doesn't have to fly or ride the ferry again.

The second story was sent in by Jessica S., and as you will see, it's actually in four parts!

"All 4 of my babies are special in some way. Although not one of them has a major physical problem, they all have something that makes them very unique. I know we all say our pets are unique but even our friends have said we have a unique collection of pets.
Our oldest is Miss Priss, still going strong at 14 years young! She came to me because my son asked for a cat. Although we weren't supposed to have pets, I gave in. I looked in the paper and found a woman who was moving to take care of her sister and had to give up her animals. Prissy was this little tiny thing that looked less than a year old. I was quite surprised to discover she was fixed, declawed, and 2 1/2 years old. The cats I have always seen gained weight when they were spayed or neutered. To this day she is 5 lbs and loves cheese. The vet gave us the go ahead to let her eat anything she wants to try to get her to 6 lbs. Maybe when she stops sleeping on top of hangers in the closet or on top of the bookcase she will gain weight :)"

"Mystic aka Mysticalbutt was adopted from a local no kill shelter. She was born there and came to my attention from my vet. At 4 mos old she had never been socialized. She is now 12 years old and although she still runs when we enter a room most times, she will come to us to be petted and on the rare occasion will get on a lap. This picture was taken without a zoom when she decided she needed love!"

"We then have the one boy in our clan, Val Entino. He was adopted from another local no kill shelter. For some reason when people heard of a flame point siamese, they shied away from our boy. He is a bit tempermental and is cross eyed as many siamese can be. He has been our big boy for 8 years and is about 10 years old now. Supposedly he was full grown and weighed in at 7 1/2 lbs. He is now a whopping 15 lbs and has doubled in length as well. Being mildly cross eyed he cannot see the water dish well and will bump it to make the water splash so he knows where it is so he can drink. He also like most cats needs box rehab and the bigger the box the better."

"Our most touching tale is of the kitten found in the freezing rain Jan 2007. My husband was working at a nursing home and was taking the trash out and going outside for breaks. This tiny kitten kept coming almost up to him and then running. When he was leaving for the day (6:30 in the morning) the kitten came up to him again and let him pick her up. He saw the ice crystals in her fur, saw the singed fur from where she had leaned against something to keep warm. He brought her home and set her up in our spare bathroom, with the intent that on his next day off we would drive 1 hour to take her to the Humane Society, as we already had 6 pets, 3 cats and 3 ferrets. Her cries were so pitiful that she of course attracted the attention of our other cats and they immediately began crying as well. By the time his day off came around, she had been dewormed, bathed, and introduced to her new family. Her name is Serae and she is our puppy cat. Due to her rough start, she has abandonment issues and follows me around everywhere. I cannot close a door or she cries. She has her own pillow on our bed, Amazingly that is the only issue she has."

The last adoption tale of the night is about a little munchkin named Myrtle.  It was shared by Cherisse F. from Idaho.

"Myrtle was found as a stray on the streets and brought into the Canyon County Animal Shelter in Caldwell, ID. ironically, this is my place of work and I happened to be working the day that she was brought in. I have a special place in my heart for special needs felines, and when I saw Myrtle I couldnt resist taking her home. She does have a very unique look. She is most likely the result of inbreeding or poor breeding of a munchkin breed cat. She does have some obvious physical deformities, including shortened front and back legs, a pallet disorder, cranial deformity and the inability to eat solid foods.. but with her feisty personality, she sure doesnt act like anything other than a normal cat.
She is now approaching 1 year old in the next few months, and weighs in at 3.5-4 lbs. she stands just shy of 5 inches high, and is no bigger than a 4 month old kitten.
Myrtle is such a joy to have around.. she learned very quickly how to jump onto the couch and relishes those sunny afternoons where she can bask in the sun by the back door. She also loves to play with other kittens her size, and LOVES my Husky mix Sammara.
I hope to have Myrtle for many years, but however long I do have her, she will be showered with love and a warm place to lay her head..."


  1. Thank you for sharing her story! she is such a cutie and I am glad to say that I am her humble servant!

  2. I love how Myrtle sticks close to what looks like her dog.